Throughout these many months, we have been eagerly prepared and have enjoyed welcoming you back! Since the beginning of the pandemic, the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre Society position has been the adoption of science-based measures in response to COVID-19. This has included extra cleaning measures in all of our public and non-public spaces, hand sanitization stations, obligatory mask-wearing policies and social distancing measures.
As an organization with theatres and indoor group activities/events/workshops of 50 or more people, the decision to require vaccination certificates for the general public ages 12+ years, as mandated by the province’s Provincial Health Officer (PHO), is another initiative to ensure the safety and well-being of all employees and guests. This goes into effect on September 13, 2021.
Refunds will be made available for tickets purchased by/for guests who are unable to provide vaccination certificates.
The H.R. MacMillan Space Centre Society remains committed to the continued development and application of new safety measures and processes as they become available that are effective and convenient for our staff and guests. Such measures are vital to the safe restart of the attraction/tourism sector, which, apart from enabling people to travel freely, is also an essential driver of economic activity in BC.
As noted on the provincial website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html key dates are as follows:
September 13: Partially Vaccinated
By September 13, you must be partially vaccinated to access some events, services and businesses.
You're partially vaccinated with 1 dose.
October 24: Fully Vaccinated
By October 24, you must be fully vaccinated to access some events, services and businesses.
You're fully vaccinated with 2 doses
Transition Period to September 26
To give everyone time to get their BC Vaccine Card, up to and including September 26, you can show other forms of proof of vaccination:
• Wallet-sized immunization record card (given out at vaccine clinics)
• Printed immunization record from Health Gateway
• Immunization record from your pharmacy (AstraZeneca/SII COVISHIELD)
• National Defence Canada COVID-19 vaccine record or card
• Provincial Immunization Registry record (used by Interior Health and others)
• ImmunizeBC record (used by First Nations Health Authority and others)
• Health authority immunization records: Fraser Health, Vancouver Coastal Health, Northern Health
Checking ID and Vaccination Certificates
As noted under the PHO orders, our guest services staff will ask all guests to see your BC Vaccine Card or immunization record and a piece of valid government photo ID, for example:
• B.C. driver's licence or BC Services Card
• Photo ID issued by another province, territory, or country of origin
• Proof of vaccination from your province or territory
• Proof of vaccination used to enter Canada (like ArriveCAN)
Your safety and the safety of our staff is our top priority. That is why we have taken additional measures to ensure your experience with us is a safe and enjoyable one. Thank you for doing your part and for choosing to visit us, we are glad to have you on our site.
Following government guidelines, new protocols are in place to ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable visit.
TICKETED ENTRY TIMES
• Online ticket purchases are strongly encouraged for all visits.
PLANNING YOUR VISIT
• All visitors must self-assess before visiting the Centre. Please stay home if you are not feeling well or are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19.
• Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled time to avoid crowding.
• Coats and personal items will remain with the visitor.
• Programs will have limited the capacity and we will use markers and signage to prevent congestion.
• All visitors and staff must maintain a two-metre (6 foot) distance from each other. Markers will indicate appropriate spacing.
• Household groups/social bubbles (maximum of 5 people) need to remain together and children must stay with an adult at all times.
• Hand sanitation stations will be placed at various locations throughout the Centre. We encourage you to clean your hands often.
• Stringent cleaning practices will be in place throughout programs/events.
• All washrooms will be checked and cleaned throughout the day at appropriate intervals.
• Please cough into your arm and away from others.
PROOF OF VACCINATION
We will be requiring proof of vaccination for visitors 12 and over starting September 13th.
• Face masks are mandatory for all Space Centre staff and visitors over the age of 12.
• Face masks must be worn within the Space Centre’s areas including the Cosmic Courtyard, GroundStation Canada Theatre, Planetarium Star Theatre, Auditorium, Ray Whittick Lounge and the Gordon Southam Observatory.
• Visitors are encouraged to bring their own masks.
• If visitors do not bring their own masks, disposable masks will be made available for use.
• Visitors not willing, or able to wear a face mask for medical reasons will not be admitted. We ask that you consider participation in our online programming instead.